Thursday, February 24, 2011

Ethnic Humor

I think that racial humor is alright in some context. I agree with what we talked about in class that it depends on who says it and who their audience is. I also think that the examples like Kat Williams, Dave Chappell, and even Dane Cook are allowed to talk about racial stereotypes and it be okay, only because it is all out of good fun. Now I am not someone who gets upset when they make fun of white people (as a white female), and talk about the stereotypes because I think it is funny myself, however if it is said in a hurtful way, then that is where I get defensive. I think that big comedians don’t leave anyone out because if they make fun of one, they make fun of everyone. Stereotypes can be somewhat funny at times, mostly out of ignorance. Now I know that white people do get cold, but a stereotype is that white people run in the winter because they don’t get cold. I mean that is absolutely ridiculous so it is funny. I don’t take it seriously. I think that comedians bring everyone together because they are saying EVERYONE gets stereotyped. Not just you. I think they also want it to be taken lightly because it is ignorant.

This is a clip of Dane Cook making fun of a couple of types of stereotypes:

2 comments:

  1. I think that last point was a very good point. Everyone is stereotyped, whether they are black, white, purple or blue. These comedians only point out and over exaggerated these stereotypes. I have watched many Katt Williams standup comedies with white people, and they laugh just as hard, if not harder than I do at the jokes against their own race. Comedians that I watch dont just pick on one race, they talk about everybody. Katt Williams in particular talks about blacks, whites, latinos, etc. No one race is singled out and I think this only reinforces the fact that everyone is stereotyped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the idea that a comedians job is to make everyone laugh at themseves no matter their race or gender. There is a line that shouldnt be crossed and many comedians come dangerously closet to crossing that line. People like Kat Williams and Dave Chappell sometimes seem to cross the line between poking fun of a race and being offensive. They get away with it for the most part because of their fame and the fact that they have established themselves in the industry. I think that if some random guy stood up at an open mic night and told a racial joke that Chapell has previously told they would not have the same reactions from the audience. I agree with the idea that it depends on who delivers the joke.

    ReplyDelete