Thursday, January 13, 2011

Well here it is

I have never blogged before so this is very new to me. Regarding the past weeks readings and class material I feel like a lot of sensitive issues will be brought up. I was really interested in reading the articles. I liked the article that talked about the different television shows and the ethnicities on TV. and the stereotypes made. I like watching other cultures and seeing how different ethnicities live their lives. One of my favorite shows growing up was the Cosby Show. I feel so ignorant because I've never really watched and thought about stereotypes when they were obviously being made. I never thought I listened to the stereotypes but I was. It's hard not too, and stereotypes were being made about people like me. I feel so sheltered because I never sat back and realized how Latinos were stereotyped on television or the lack of Asians on TV. The articles were very interesting and eye opening for me.

I do think it is really awesome how different ethnicities are showing up on television. I think it is about time that they do, especially with my uncertainty and interest in it. It is a shame that it has taken this long to get everyone included on television. However when I do think about shows like the Real World and their portrayal and how they want different ethnicities to be seen is absolutely ridiculous. I think that they are shaping peoples opinions about stereotypes and that is not how it should be.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you completely in terms of feeling sheltered and like the stereotypes that exist don't affect me. I have always thought of myself as a very open-minded person who never let such things affect my opinions and perspectives.... but I guess that just goes to show my own ignorance. But from this class I have realized that I am very much affected by the media's perceptions and stereotypes.

    I have to admit though, I am quit confused. It seems the critics of the media are hypocritical. I feel like there are people out there demanding for a fair representation of ethnicities... yet at the same time they are criticizing the media for discriminating against some of those representations for being stereotypical... and although I do believe stereotypes are wrong and we need to steer clear of them, it is hard to generalize an ethnicity and portray who they are without certain stereotypes or generalizations. They might not be accurate of all, but it is impossible to generalize every single person!

    I just do no understand what they want. I feel like the bottom line is a fair representation, but I do not know how we are supposed to do that and please everybody. And then there is this point...... what about the people adopted from different countries raised in an american manner. My neighbor is adopted from Korea and does not fit into the Korean ethnicity and culture. Where does she fall into all this mess?

    I think the point here is I don't yet understand the issue. Once again, its like all the pieces are floating around hitting each other and I cannot seem to make them fit together... I do see the problems, but I feel like the solution to one problem is the cause of another... and it is impossible to please everyone...bottom line is that I do not know how to feel about any of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an African American, I feel ignorant because I too have never really examine this through other eyes none then my one. I think this class has brought up a lot of perspective on issues I knew exist but never put my heart into. I think it was interesting to see the ratings and percentages of other minorities on TV. I never knew how much air time, Native americans DON'T receive!


    Its interesting when you bring up the real world, I feel like that is a show where I rather not see my african american brothers and sisters been on. You can have people look a certain ethnicity and fit into your realm of being foreign or diverse, but if that person does not fit into that category or feel comfortable , how diverse are you really?

    Sometimes looks especially in the media play too much of a big part. I think the real world is a prime example of that. It is a good example of tokenism in my books

    ReplyDelete